It’s VegeWednesday! We’ll be pairing our VegeCert Vegan Certified wines with a delicious Vegan recipe made for us by Chef Sider at our sister winery Redstone.
This week we’re pairing the 2013 Laundry Spark with Tempura Green Asparagus, with Black Olive, Red Chili, and Basil. Light and airy tempura batter is a dream with sparkling wine, but the briney olive and kick of chili really elevate this simple snack to something your friends will request you bring to every party.
Tempura Green Asparagus with Black Olive, Red Chili, Basil
- 12pc asparagus
- 1C pastry flour
- 1/2C corn starch
- 1.5C sparkling water
- 8 ice cubes
- 4C canola oil
- 1/4C sundried black olives, pitted
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1.5tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3tbsp olive oil
- ½ red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/8C basil, chopped
For the tempura:
- Combine the pastry flour and corn starch, then add the sparkling water until the mixture forms a loose batter. Add the ice cubes 15-20 minutes before use.
For the asparagus:
- Trim the woody ends off the asparagus and reserve.
For the black olive vinaigrette:
- Combine the olives, shallot, vinegar, olive oil and red chili. Season to taste with black pepper and salt, if needed. Add the basil 5 minutes before serving.
- Heat the 4C canola oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 375F.
- Using heat-proof tongs or tweezers, dip the asparagus into the batter and gently place in the oil.
- Fry until crisp – 2-3 minutes. Remove the asparagus from the oil onto a plate lined with paper towel and season with salt.
- Flood the bottom of a serving bowl with the black olive vinaigrette and place the asparagus with the bottoms in the vinaigrette.Serves 4 as a light snack or 2 as an appetizer