This sweet, spicy, tart recipe is the perfect pairing for an equally intriguing Cabernet Sauvignon Icewine…
– 5oz Gingernaps
– 1 cup Walnuts
– 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
– 4 tbsp Butter, melted
– 12oz bag of fresh Cranberries
-1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
– 3 large eggs
– 2 egg yolks
– pinch of salt
– 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
– 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp & cut into pieces
- Set oven to 350F, lightly spray a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Put the gingersnaps in a food processor and process until they are fine crumbs (a heaping cup) Add the walnuts, and brown sugar and process again until everything is finely ground. Add the butter and process briefly to combine.
- Pat the crust into your pie plate, and up the sides. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Put the cranberries, 1 cup of the sugar, and 1/4 cup water to a simmer in a saucepan. Lower the heat and simmer the cranberries, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until they’ve popped and the mixture is quite thick. Let cool slightly and then puree until completely smooth.
- Whisk the puree, the eggs, yolks, salt, lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar together in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, this will take about 10 minutes or so. Stay by the pan the whole time and stir!
- Push the curd through a mesh strainer, using the back of a spoon to get it all through.
- Let the curd cool for a few minutes and then drop the room temperature butter in, bit by bit, while you stir to melt it.
- Pour the curd into the pie crust and smooth out evenly. Chill the pie until it is firm, about 2 hours or so.
- Decorate with sugared cranberries and fresh Thyme sprigs!
It’s Vege-Wednesday! We’re bringing back our Vegan Wine features with a little twist….now you can pair these wines with a delicious Vegan meal (tried and tested and plates completely cleaned by our team here, so you know they’re good!)
We’re thrilled to be continuing to partner with VegeCert in certifying our Vegan and Vegetarian wines, making it easier for Vegan customers to find and enjoy new and exciting wines in their area!
The wines we feature on Vege-Wednesdays are certified Vegan friendly by VegeCert, an organization that certifies vegan and vegetarian products. This means the wine in question was not made using any animal byproducts. But some of you have been wondering, what does that mean?
🌱Sometimes fining agents that are made from things like eggs, isinglass, and casein are used in the production of wine. This would result in a wine NOT being considered Vegan! Wines of ours that do not have any of these animal byproducts used during production proudly carry the VegeCert certification of being Vegan.
Now, let’s get cooking!
Orecchiette with Creamy Carrot Miso Sauce & Carrot Top Gremolata
- 8–10 ounces orecchiette pasta, cooked in salted water, according to package directions.
Carrot Miso Sauce:
- 2 shallots, rough chopped
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heaping cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons White Miso Paste
Carrot Top Gremolata
- 1/2 cup carrot tops (tender leaves) packed
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley
- 1 fat garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup– 1/2 cup olive oil
- COOK PASTA: Set 6-8 cups salted water to boil for pasta, and cook according to directions.
- COOK the SAUCE: Heat oil in a medium pot, over medium heat. Saute shallot and garlic until fragrant and golden, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add carrots, cashews, water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to low and simmer gently until carrots are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the 3 tablespoons of miso and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- BLEND THE CARROT MISO SAUCE: Once the carrots are tender and slightly cooled, place all in a high-speed blender, covering tightly with a kitchen towel, blend on the lowest setting, gradually increasing speed, until fully blended, creamy and silky smooth about 1- 1 1/2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and pour the sauce over the pasta, gently warming if needed. Taste and adjust salt.
- Divide among bowls, and sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and spoon the flavorful Carrot Top Gremolata over top.
Instructions: Carrot Top Gremolata
- Place carrot leaves, parsley, lemon zest and garlic in a food processer and pulse repeatedly until finely chopped. Add the salt and oil, pulsing a few more times until incorporated (but not too smooth). Add more oil if you prefer a looser version.
Pairing with Wine
Enjoy this dish with our 2017 Tintern Pinot Noir, certified Vegan by VegeCert! This Pinot is light and bright but harmonizes beautifully with the earthiness of the carrot sauce, and balances the savoury miso flavours nicely. This completely vegan meal is FULL of flavour and seems rich, but doesn’t leave you feeling heavy and over-stuffed. The Gremolata is optional, but we love the fact that we didn’t waste anything from our carrots and let’s be honest, who could say no to more garlic in your pasta?
In ‘Spirit’ of the Holidays, our resident mixologist Alex has created 3 new Grappa cocktails, one more potent than the next! We invite you to quit being a Scrooge about Grappa, and give them a try!
Grappa of Christmas Past – Sweet & tart, easy to drink
1.5oz Tawse Riesling La Pressatura
1/2oz Tawse Vermouth
1/2oz Lime Juice
1/2oz Pink Peppercorn & Anise Syrup
2oz Grapefruit Juice
Few dashes Tawse Orange Bitters
Star Anise pods for garnish
Grappa of Christmas Present – Spicy & warm, with a kick
1oz Tawse Gewurztraminer La Pressatura
1oz Green Chartreuse
1/2oz Lime Juice
Bar Spoon of Honey
Few dashes Tawse Aromatic Bitters
Cinnamon Stick for garnish
Grappa of Christmas Yet to Come – Boozy & sultry, the perfect nightcap
1oz Tawse Pinot Noir La Pressatura
1/2oz Sweet Vermouth
1/2oz Heering Cherry Liqueur
Cocktail Cherry for garnish
Merry Christmas from the Tawse Team
December 24th ❄ 11am-3pm
December 25th ❄ CLOSED
December 26th ❄ CLOSED
December 31st ❄ 11am-3pm
January 1st ❄ CLOSED
Please refer to our Social Media pages for any closures due to weather.
Have a safe and happy Holiday season! Take care of friends and neighbours, and always #SUPPORTLOCAL
The Tawse Team
WINE ALIGN 2020 Guide to Canada’s Best Wines: TOP TEN CATEGORIES
TOP 10 CHARDONNAY
Tawse 2016 Quarry Road Chardonnay
Tawse 2018 Sketches Chardonnay
TOP 10 RIESLING
Tawse 2017 Limestone North Riesling
Tawse 2019 Carly’s Riesling
TOP 10 SPARKLING
Tawse 2017 Spark Rose
Tawse 2016 Spark Blend
TOP 10 GAMAY NOIR
Tawse 2018 Cherry Gamay
TOP 10 SAUVIGNON BLANC
Tawse 2019 Growers Blend Sauvignon Blanc
TOP 10 PINOT GRIS
Tawse 2019 Lawrie Pinot Gris
TOP 10 PINOT NOIR
Tawse 2017 Quarry Road Pinot Noir
TOP 10 ROSÉ
Tawse 2019 Cherry Avenue Rosé
TOP 10 RED BLENDS
Tawse 2016 Meritage
TOP 10 SYRAH
Tawse 2018 Guy Lafleur Syrah
TOP 10 OTHER
Tawse 2013 Chardonnay Icewine
CREEPY VODKA CRAN
Developed by A. Drumm
Get in the Hallowe’en SPIRIT 👻 with this twist on the classic.
Combine in a cocktail shaker over ice, shake thoroughly and strain into a glass fit for Lestat. Dry ice optional, but always appreciated.
HALLOWE’EN CONTEST! Tag #TAWSESPIRITS on social media when posting a photo of your Hallowe’en costume and spooky drink of choice for a chance to win a bottle of Tawse Vodka! We’ll pick our favourite at the end of the weekend. (02/11/2020)
TAWSE WHISKY PEACH SOUR
Developed by A. Drumm
Developed in celebration of our new Canadian Whisky release, this light and frothy drink is tart & full of flavour, yet delicate and intriguing.
Place ingredients into cocktail shaker, without ice, shake.
Add ice then shake again. Strain into coupe glass, and garnish with fresh peach slice!
Peach Ginger Simple Syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
2 peaches, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
Bring to a boil and reduce. Strain through cheesecloth
AUTUMN COFFEE COCKTAIL
Developed by A. Drumm
A perfect way to end a fall feast, to be enjoyed with your pumpkin pie!
2 oz. Tawse Canadian Whisky
2.5 oz. Cold Brew Coffee
1 oz Tawse Orange Bitters
Place ingredients into cocktail shaker with ice, shake thoroughly
Strain into desired glass, garnish with orange peel.
2oz Pinot Noir La Pressatura
1/2oz Simple Syrup
1 shot of freshly made espresso
Combine ingredients over ice in cocktail shaker, shake VERY well, pour into a chilled martini or coupe glass.
Garnish with espresso beans, and enjoy!
For a bit more sweetness and an intriguing flavour, add 1oz of Maple Syrup in lieu of Simple Syrup.
Heard It Through the Grapevine
Developed by L.Lefko
An original cocktail made for summer, The Grapevine combines a bunch of our favourite warm-weather drinks at Tawse. A little bit o’ this, a little bit o’ that….and you’ve got something that looks like it’s been plucked straight off the vine! —
Gamay Ice Sphere
While you can use any size ice-tray, we love the look of the sphere!
1 Part Water: 2 Parts Tawse Gamay Noir
Freeze for longer than normal ice (the wine will take a bit to freeze!)
We used this Ice Sphere Tray from Peak https://wandpdesign.com/products/sphe…
1oz Simple Syrup
1oz Fresh Lemon Juice
1oz Tawse Gin
Gently bruise 2 fresh basil leaves for a hint of fresh flavour
If you LOVE basil, you can also muddle one in the glass before adding ingredients.
Add a few Blackberries for a boozy treat after you’ve finished your drink.
Finish the cocktail off with some S.Pellegrino for some refreshing bubbles! We love the Cherry/Pomegranate flavour.